Sunday, October 7, 2012

Post 2 Oct 1-7


The fallacies discussed in the chapter are perfectionism, obsessions with shoulds, overgeneralization, taking responsibility for others, helplessness, and fear of catastrophic failure. Fear of catastrophic failure is what I struggle the most with. All my family lives in LA, so I am alone at San Jose State, when I think about my family I think about the worst happening to them. There was a recent tragedy in the family and that hasn’t made anything better. Using self-talk can help a lot with these fallacies. The fallacy of perfectionism is something that a lot of people struggle with. When I am going to make a decision I talk to myself a lot, pretty much talking myself out of it. We can use self-talk to reassure ourselves and bring back the confidence. Being more positive about situations will help me a lot with my intrapersonal communication, and not having fear of catastrophic failure. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello! It seems that you and I both are struggling with the fear of catastrophic failure kind of fallacy. I agree that using self talk can bring more confidence because we can give our own selves a reassurance that everything will be alright. Also, we can really analyze the fallacy we are falling into by using self talk. Not only that, but we begin to see the positive side of things when we use self talk because we spent enough time with it to outweigh the negative with the positive. It will really help a lot with everyone's intrapersonal communication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too suffer with fear of catastrophic failure. I honestly hate that part about me but i'm trying to change it! Mainly, this fallacy applies to my school work. I always think i'm going to do bad on a midterm or quiz. I try to talk to myself out of it but it never really works unless i explain my situation to someone else which sorta helps. For me, when i hear a positive or supportive response from others i feel like i would believe it more. But this isn't healthy cause it feels like i'm relying on someone else to tell me how to run my life. It's not good for me but it's a quick fix temporarily.

    ReplyDelete