Saturday, September 29, 2012

Post 1, week 24-30


After reviewing the six types if non listening I realized that I use two of them in the way I communicate. Monopolizing, which is when you try and make the conversation about yourself and Ambushing, which is listening enough to gather information to attack the speaker; are both types of non-listening I partake in. Some of my friends have told me that I like to make the conversation about me, I really haven’t noticed but then they gave me examples. What I have tried to do is to think before I speak. It helps me realize that I was about to say "oh I do that too," or say something having to do with the word I. Ambushing only take place with certain people I talk to. I have a friend who always wants to argue, when I talk to him I keep my guard up so that I can argue back with whatever non-sense he is talking about. I really don’t need to fix this problem because I only do it to certain people and can control it when needed.

2 comments:

  1. I found it surprising that you only use two types of nonlistening. That is admirable. While reading through the different types of nonlistening, I found out that I use all 6 different types. I thought that was normal; however, since you only used two, I feel as though I need to put more effort into listening to others. Also, after reading your post, I thought about it, and I realized that I start sentences off with the word "I" a lot also. This post is an example. In addition, I agree with you. As long as you can control your nonlistening, then you there is no urgent need to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your section on monopolizing the conversation was interesting. I think a lot of people tend to monopolize conversations. I know when I get nervous or uncomfortable I tend to monopolize the conversation because I am afraid there are going to be awkward pauses or the conversation will end weirdly. I liked your suggestion for avoiding this, though. Really thinking about what you are about to say and thinking if it has anything to do with yourself, would definitely help avoid monopolizing the conversation. I am definitely going to start using that technique to make sure I am not monopolizing the conversation.

    ReplyDelete